Ogura Oranges Cake
Ogura Oranges Cake is actually a plain cake but the texture is like a chiffon cake, cottony, light and soft but baked in a normal cake pan. I was very much inspired by many talented bakers who have created Ogura Cakes of different flavours. The most recent ones were posted by Jane and Helena. Jane made the cake with coffee flavour and Helena made hers with rose water and cranberry.
70g Orange juice
40g Vegetable oil
¼ tsp Salt
55g Hong Kong Flour/Plain flour or Cake flour
zest from 2 oranges
4 Egg yolks + 1 whole egg (60g each)
150g Egg white
¼ tsp Cream of tartar
Metode to make Ogura Oranges Cake
- Line baking sheet at the bottom of an ungreased 7 inch square pan. Preheat the oven to 160 deg C with a tray of boiling water on the most bottom rack.
- Whisk egg yolks,and vegetable oil until frothy and add orange juice, mix well. Sift in flour, salt and orange zest, mix well set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg white, cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add castor sugar till peak form
- Mix ⅓ of meringue with yolk batter with a rubber spatula. Then pour in remaining meringue. Fold gently to mix well.
- Pour batter into pan and tap pan lightly to remove air bubbles.
- Steam bake for 40 minutes at 160°C and bake for another 20 minutes at lower temperature 140°C.
- Remove cake immediately after baked and invert cake on wire rack to cool.
- Ogura Orange cake ready to serve